Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Guantanamo or bust

Hello everyone. We finally made it to Cuba. What a crazy couple of days it has been. The morning we left San Diego I woke up not feeling quite right and by the time our plane left I was suffering from the full blown flu. We arrived in Baltimore about 5:00PM and checked into the hotel. I went straight to bed. We had to get up at 3:00AM and get to the airport, and yes, I’m still sick as a dog. We had a layover in Jacksonville Florida before we headed to Cuba. We landed in Cuba about 11:30AM. George, the guy Jerry is replacing, had it arranged so that we got off the airplane before anyone else. They announced that everyone had to stay in their seats and then called us off the plane. Really embarrassing! After military dogs sniffed our bags we were able to grab them and head for the boat. The airport is on the opposite side of the bay so you must take a boat to the main side. George arranged a private boat for us so we did not have to wait for the ferry. I sat in the front of the boat because I wanted to take in the beauty of the island. It was an amazing ride until it starting pouring down rain and we were soaked from head to toe. We finally pulled up to the dock and I could see bright yellow fish with black stripes swimming around the boat. We unloaded everything, including dogs. Oh by the way, they did just fine on the flights. I assumed at this point they would take us to the hotel. Imagine my surprise when we pulled up to a three bedroom duplex. They had it ready with loaner furniture, washer drier, even dog food for the puppies. On the kitchen cabinet was a card welcoming us and letting us know that some of the military wives would be bringing us meals for the next five days. I was invited to brunch with the ladies on Sunday and then we would be going the Station Commander’s house for dinner where we would be taking an evening cruise around the island with a visiting movie star. I missed all of it. I was so sick that I stayed in bed the rest of the day Saturday and all day Sunday. Jerry had a great time. He said the movie star was the groom in Wedding Crashers that fought with Vince Vaugh (all of this second hand info as Jerry and I fell asleep during the movie). Last night a bunch of tree frogs were stuck to the French doors. Today is Monday and my fever has lifted and I’m starting to feel like myself again. One of the wives is picking me up and we are going to get the car we shipped. Then I’m going to hit the Internet cafĂ© and post this message. We don’t have Internet or television in the house. I think I will come back to the house and sleep.


Mark and Sally Salmons said...

Hey, Dana and Jerry!
Glad you've made it and things are going well. Can't wait to see more pictures!

Mark and Sally

Anonymous said...

I am getting ready to move to Gtmo in a few weeks. Your blog was a fantastic introduction, better than any "welcome packet". I think I will start a blog when I get there. Guessing it will have many similar posts :)
thank you - gracias