Sunday, February 8, 2009

Yucca Cacti

I spent the week in Norfolk Virginia learning the ends and outs of financial counseling. One week of intense learning. I feel like I'm a walking financial dictionary now. Baby, it was cold outside. One morning it was 17. GTMO had a cold front as well and got down to something like 65 degrees. I know, chilly. Jerry had to get out his long pants. I returned from my trip yesterday and was delighted to see one of our cactus grew and sprouted this several foot tall extension with strange yellow flowers.  Growing up in the desert we had a cactus similar to this one but the blooms looked different. Anyone out there know what variety this is? 





2 comments:

A Khudori Soleh said...

nice post. please visit to my site

Mark J said...

That's a species of Agave, aka "century plant." I don't know which species offhand, but what you have is similar to what grows in the foothills in the low desert. They tend to occur in the same habitat as ocotillos. They die after they bloom, so when it happens, don't blame yourself -- there's nothing you can do to stop it.

Re: your financial class -- maybe you can help us figure out how to tap into the fed's economic stimulus plan so we can pay off our credit cards!